13 Steps to be Productive
Ever wonder why some people are so productive all of the time while other people never accomplish anything?
Most of us assume it is because of intelligence, wealth, family, friends, luck, or education. Those are not correct.
The key of productivity is about having goals, making plans, and having diligence. And the only way to achieve any of these productivity methods is by having effective habits.
So, here are a few tips on how to be more productive.
- GOALS: Have goals in life. Always strive to accomplish something.
- ORGANIZE: Create a plan for each goal. Itemize each plan with a list of tasks.
- PRIORITIZE: Determine the importance of each goal and each task, include when each task needs to be completed and in what order. Also consider which tasks are not really important and can be removed.
- SCHEDULE: For each plan, create a schedule with when each task should start and finish. This means doing the first task first, the second task second, etc. Managing time is extremely critical, since it is the biggest productivity obstacle.
- BE FLEXIBLE: Be prepared to re-prioritize and re-schedule each task on a momentís notice. A previously less important task can suddenly become more important. Know when to stop working on a task, even though the task may not be finished. Donít get upset or mull changes for too long. Being flexible is personally very hard for me.
- BE PROACTIVE: Take responsibility and seize control of each task. Actively start working on each task according to the schedule. Proactively seek out solutions to problems. Being reactive slows down productivity, so find and resolve issues before they are major problems.
- ASSISTANCE: Donít be afraid to ask for help. Delegate when possible.
- GOAL ORIENTED: Begin, throughout, and end each task with the goal in mind. Be open to discoveries during a task that may affect other tasks, the entire plan, or a goal. See Tip #5.
- COMMITMENTS: Make and keep commitments, especially to ourselves.
- UNDERSTANDING: We seldom reach our goals alone, so we must understand the goals and desires of other people in order to achieve personal goals. So, empathically listen to others, think about what they say, and finally discuss tasks and issues to truly understand any potential obstacles that could affect productivity. Not having a clear understanding with other people is personally one of my biggest time wasters.
- SYNERGY: When dealing with other people, cooperate to build on each individualís strengths and compliment each otherís weaknesses.
- WIN/WIN: We live in a very symbiotic world, so help find solutions that will appease everyone. Remember that success spreads even indirectly. So when someone else succeeds, we all succeed.
- RELAX: Being productive all of time is impossible. Being productive most of the time is very exhausting, so relax and reduce daily stress. We all physical and mental needs that are essential for peak performance. Read this article for ideas on reducing stress.
by Phil B.