5 Small Nutrition Tips That Make a Big Impact on Your Health
The foods that we eat play a large role in the outcome of our long term health. Making only a few small changes in our diet can dramatically improve our health years down the road.
Here are five nutrition tips that will make a difference in our lives:
- Eliminate refined foods from your diet: Refined foods lack the quality nutrients your body needs on a day to day basis. Replacing them with natural whole grain products can make a large positive impact on your health.
Next time when grocery shopping, try to cut back on these foods:
- White sugar
- White flour
- White rice
- Sugar substitutes
These items are all pale substitutes for energy and stimulation, and they can cause serious negative impacts on health in the long term.
- Eat a healthy breakfast every day: Your breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eating a healthy breakfast will provide you with lots of energy and will ensure that our bodies’ metabolic rates remain efficient.
A muffin or donut and coffee will not provide you with the nutrients and calories you need to get through the morning. Aim for foods like oatmeal, eggs and toast, or fruit smoothies.
- Eat a serving of protein with each meal:– Protein helps maintain muscle, connective tissue, and promote optimal immune system function. Try to consume high quality protein every day divided into five or six small meals.
Here are some examples of high quality protein:
- Low fat dairy products
- Extra lean red meat
- Kidney beans
- Don’t drink liquids with meals: Drinking too much water with meals can hinder your body’s ability to digest your food, as it washes away essential digestive fluids. Be sure to wait at least 15 minutes after a meal to consume a beverage.
- Avoid large meals late at night: Eating late at night can disrupt your sleep and increase the risk of storing food as body fat. Try limiting all foods after 7pm, especially those pesky carbohydrates.
These five nutrition tips are relatively easy to implement, and can lead to significant health improvements. Next time that we go grocery shopping or begin preparing a meal, remember this list and please put health first.
by Adam Franklin
Adam is a health and fitness enthusiast from Ontario Canada, and the creator of www.Build-Muscle-Gain-Weight.com, a website dedicated to teaching people how to gain weight naturally and safely.